The vaguely green-fingered thoughts of a rambling rose.

Taking a breather


The weather has improved a little and the sun has inspired bulbs to emerge and bloom all over the garden.  


I'm taking a couple of weeks off work and it's so comforting to hear the birdsong in the mornings, from the tawny owl in the neighbour's eucalyptus tree before dawn, to the urgent chirping of the sparrows as they squabble over the prime positions on the feeders. 

As I take Ellie for a walk, I am so aware how lucky I am to have fresh air to fill my lungs with.  I'm a country girl at heart and never happier than being outside amongst nature.  I guess I have a little something in my blood as I come from farming heritage.  I reckon if I won the lottery, I would buy a house further into the countryside - perhaps on the edge of a village.  I don't think I would go the whole hog and have livestock but a small wood would be just perfect.  

I can just imagine sitting on a fallen log, listening to the birds and watching the sunlight filtered through the leaves moving in a gentle breeze.  Ahhh. And relax...

Gardening never stays still.  There's always something to trim, tweak or titivate.


Clematis Armandii has almond scented flowers. This has definitely found itself at home in the Terrace Border and with this warming sunshine, will soon be smothered in blooms.



Time for the cornus spring snip.  The vivid red stems are cut back hard to ensure next winter's display. 



In the Yen Garden, rhododendron Christmas Cheer is in full swing.  It clearly wasn't fazed by being moved into the ground last spring. 


The wisteria already has swelling buds all along the stems.  Last year we had a single flower and oh boy did that bring pleasure to the senses.  The plant has had a light winter prune to shorten the previously pruned stems (using the 7s and 2s process).  The very ends of some of the training stems had died back so they also received a nip.  This year I reckon the wisteria will reach the other side of the pergola.  Then it will be a case of filling out and keeping it healthy (and hopefully increasing the amount of blooms).



Pausing for a moment in the tranquility of the Yen Garden, the cherry tree also has new buds swelling.  Below the cherry is the young acer Sangokaku showing off its vibrant stems.



Over in Mugwart's Retreat, clematis Alpina Constance is waiting in the wings for its moment in the spotlight. 



Spring is almost upon us. I can smell it.


No comments:

Post a Comment