The vaguely green-fingered thoughts of a rambling rose.

2018. Year's End.


2018 has been a year of extremes. We had the "Beast from the East" in February and March which set the garden back for spring which then leapt up to temperatures on some days in the low 20's in April.  

2018 is reportedly the second sunniest since records began in 1929. The top spot remains 2003 with 1587hrs of sunshine. 

It was reported as the hottest summer (in England) since those records began in 1910 and it was indeed a very long hot summer that caused issues in our own garden with drought.  

Christmas has come and gone for another year and I was fortunate enough to receive some gardening vouchers from one of the consultants I work for, my husband's aunt gave me a book on topiary and my younger son gave me some proper topiary shears.


The Man That Can and I spent Saturday morning at the garden centre choosing a couple of new birch trees.


Apparently Betula ermanii Polar Bear is a "strong growing tree which quickly develops a white trunk" and that after a few years and with "a little imagination" starts to resemble a polar bear... 



The other one is the well known Betula utilis var. Grayswood Ghost. It's a more conical shape with one of the best white trunks available. 


On Sunday morning we planted them in the Pink Garden.  When I say we, I actually mean TMTC planted them while I made sure they were in the best position.  I did however spend some time tidying up some old soggy foliage from the day lilies and cleared a few weeds.  


Between the bottom step and the shed he planted the b. Grayswood Ghost as it will be a more compact shape.


B. Polar Bear is planted at the edge of the flower bed where it can spread to help with the privacy and soften the hard line of the fence.

A little more of the detritus left by the fencers was collected before the bird box was put back on the shed.

It was a beautiful day, sunny and mild, and so quiet other than birdsong.  I guess all the neighbours were either inside watching TV or at the sales!  Our gain.

It's been the year of the tree I reckon.  This year we have added another 4 to make a total of 14.  We now have 3 birches in the Pink Garden, an espallier apple tree, Kanzan cherry tree, a large potted acer, a Tibetan cherry and a liquidamber styraciflua Lane Roberts in the Yen, a magnolia George Henry Kern, acer Crimson King, syringa Sensation and a standard Photinia red robin in the Long Border.  Then in the front garden we have another acer and the staghorn tree! Not too shabby eh?

As we say our goodbyes to 2018, I wish each and every one of our readers a very happy and healthy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment