The vaguely green-fingered thoughts of a rambling rose.

Spring 2024

 As we near the end of March, the longer days have triggered the wildlife into reproduction and the flora into growth. I love this time of the year because every day reveals something new in bud or flower.


In late February, the wisteria received its winter prune. The stems we had pruned to 7 buds in August are now pruned again but this time to just 2 buds. This will enable us to have the greatest number of flowers in late spring. 


Irises are already thrusting up their blades in The Yen. 


We've pulled the Buddha forward as he was lost in the foliage last year.


All the cornus stems have been cut back. New stems will soon replace them for next winter's display. 


Rhubarb. Ready.















There's a couple of large clumps of frogspawn in our still relatively new, larger, pond.


But pond weed has also been blooming with the warming weather.


A newcomer. Prunus Kojo No Mai. Soon to be planted in the front garden...


...along with these vivid primulae, nodding chequerboard snake's head fritillaria...


...and eye-catching orange ranunculus, which will lead the flowering period onto the yellow-gold of rosa Maigold. I'll take some photos when these have been planted. The idea is to be able to view them from my chair while I convalesce post-surgery, after Easter.












Another new addition to the front garden, in it's first proper season, is Prunus Collingwood Ingram. Bought as a nod to a very dear friend so I can see the brightly coloured blossom from inside.


"Colly" replaces the staghorn we lost a few years ago in a storm; she never fails to lift my spirits. 



There's been another new addition to the garden. I've had stair rails installed in order to enable my safe descent into the sunken part of my garden where the workspace, Mugwart's Retreat and The Yen lay.  Once they've been painted to match the rest of our iron work, I'll share with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment