The vaguely green-fingered thoughts of a rambling rose.

The Lull

 

The lull has hit the garden early, despite so many flowers arriving late this year.

And my bedding has been a disaster.  But I think that is probably more to do with the fact lots of things have been happening outside of the garden all at once and life has been a bit of overwhelming this year.


Let's take a look at what has worked. 


Last year I pushed bits of these sedums into the barely-there soil around the base of the gate and this year they've bloomed!


R. Shropshire Lad has reached to the bend in the arch and has flowered really well.  We've had a lot of rain this summer so I've been cutting these roses for little bouquets to enjoy inside. 


The day lilies.  The one above doesn't always flower but this year its salmon-pink flowers have been brilliant. 


This is my stalwart, orange with a golden stripe and has flowered annually without fail.  I did procure a version opposite to this, golden with a deep orange, almost brown stripe but that hasn't flowered at all this year!


And this beautiful clear yellow beside the pond has flowered poorly this year. I think I'll lift and divide it to try and inject some oomph for next year.


The Eryngium have been spectacular this year.  Another plant that I've used in my indoor displays. I think I'll spread some of the seeds into the front garden and Mugwart's Retreat this autumn.  What do you think?


The astrantias have struggled in the high temperatures this year. I'm disappointed with the dusky pink shade.  Perhaps it's time to remove them and inject some of the stronger coloured ones like Ruby Wedding. 



On the whole, the garden has managed well. The roses however have been a bit hit and miss.  R. Mum in a Million has been very poor, with balling and black spot, likewise r. Special Anniversary has struggled on the terrace. This year has been the first year not using any sprays for bugs or spot, and I've not used any slug pellets either.

The garden shows this with ragged hostas and sickly roses.  I must prevail.  Perhaps the garden needs time to adjust and fight back.


This happy accident I think was down to the birds. The pollinators have loved it and in return, they've been doing their bit to rebalance the garden.


Every spare bit of soil in the Yen is being colonised by this dark leaved sedum. Again I've just broken pieces off and pushed them into the soil. The hoverflies and bees have loved them. I've only seen white butterflies this year however. 


A splash of vivid red from crocosmia Lucifer in the Yen punctuates all the calming tones of green.


Last year a single waterlily was eaten before I had a proper chance to enjoy it. This year a pure bloom flowered for a couple of weeks.  Another is about to open.


So, back to the lull.  There are my late summer beauties such as the taller sedums and mophead hydrangeas set to bloom but the Long Border in particular is lacking some punch.



We've cut the astrantias and hardy geraniums back hard to encourage another flush, and in their wake, planted some echinaceas, rudbeckias and heleniums, along with a bright monarda. 









I'm hoping these will bulk up and help with even more pollinating insects. 

In the meantime, they look fab in my posies











No comments:

Post a Comment