The vaguely green-fingered thoughts of a rambling rose.

Violas in May


In such an array of colours and patterns, violas are a must in my garden. They really are worth their weight in gold. They are extremely hardy, resistant to weather and as long as you nip off the dead flowers once in a while they will flower and flower pretty much all year round.  


They will also self seed if permitted. I've often found a few seedlings when weeding old containers in late autumn. I love a freebie as much as the next girl, so I tend to either leave them in situ or pot them up for later use!


I do on a rare occasion use pansies, but I find they are not as tolerant to negligence, the wet British winters or aphids.


In a couple more weeks I'll give all the violas a trim and plant them into bare spots in the borders to make room for my summer bedding.  For now they can just continue to bring joy with their little happy faces.

No comments:

Post a Comment